NPR landed an email in my inbox today that I read with great interest, though little surprise.
If you know me, you know I have a great, big, honking soapbox about overscheduled children, the overcommercialization of children, Disney-fying everything from dalmations to candlesticks, and ruining young girls hope for happiness with the prince-on-a-white-horse syndrome.
There's too much shouting at children, and they can't hear themselves think nor talk to themselves. Too many toys clamoring for attention. Too many fantasies whirling about in TV land asking to be acted on. Add to that the fact that kids seldom get told "no" and therefore never learn how to say it for themselves or divide fact from fiction and you've got a ton of trouble. When was the last time you looked a kid in the eye, and said "Hey. Look at me when I'm talking to you."
Now, I read that I was right all along. Disney's Mickey Mouse Club, albeit a fun, happy thing, launched a landslide toward the mind control of children that has resulted in kids who don't know who they are. Because they don't talk to themselves, they can't hear themselves and they can't control themselves. They have no executive function.
NPR says it better than me, but what I've always believed is that there is nothing wrong with talking to yourself.
If you believe "To thine own self be true", you've got to know who that self is. And if you can't hear yourself think; indeed if you can't think for yourself at all, you'll never find truth in your life.
Get an old stick. Go play in the backyard before it's too late.
There's no such thing as a talking candlestick.
4,665
-
I guess it's been almost five years since I've written anything here.
Plenty of time for it to cool down. We'll see what happens. Medical
training has ende...
10 years ago
1 comment:
I always thought it was very valuable to be able to go out and make up a world based solely on an old stick and a patch of grass. Kids need boundaries, but they ought to be able to go nuts within those boundaries.
Another aspect of this whole thing is that lots of parents are concerned their kids have ADHD because they come home and bounce off the walls. But most of the time those kids have been sitting still all day long doing as they're told, and they have to come home and blow off some steam. Parents are right to think their kids are acting abnormally, but it's just because their day is out of balance. Kids are just kids. They need to just be kids sometimes.
I love the title, btw :D
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.